UK 1Study in the UK offers you a long history of teaching the world’s greatest leaders, thinkers and artists. You can choose from traditional UK universities that have taught for hundreds of years, or modern, state-of-the-art universities and colleges throughout England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

Courses in London are always popular – living in one of the world’s most exciting and dynamic cities is a life-changing adventure. It’s a great place to learn English in the UK, or study an undergraduate or Master’s Degree.

A UK education doesn’t have to be expensive either. The cost of living outside of London is much more affordable. UK degrees can be completed in three years with honours (saving a year of tuition compared with many other international degrees). Plus, students in the UK have access to free medical care through the NHS if they are studying for more than six months.

UK 2
UK 3
UK 4


From the world-class reputation of UK universities, to the vibrancy of its cities and culture, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have a lot to offer international students. Four of the world’s top six universities are based in the UK, while all of its institutes offer a high quality level of teaching from leading professionals in their chosen area.

With advanced research methods and excellent facilities, you are guaranteed an education of the uppermost standard. UK courses are internationally recognised and come with prestigious qualifications that will make your résumé stand out to future employers. There is also a great deal of information and guidance available along the way to help you to further your education and plan your career.

The UK has a large international student community and multicultural society. Students come from over 200 nations to study in the UK. Many educational institutes have an international society to enable students from abroad to settle in the UK and make friends. These societies are always very sociable and offer trips to local attractions, and activities such as meals out, parties and gatherings. They also serve as a great source of support and advice and will enable you to make friendships that will last a lifetime.

As an international student you have the option to work for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time in holidays. There are also opportunities for you to work for up to two years following your graduation. This is a great way to build up your work experience and gain some important skills that may compliment your future career.

Another benefit of being based in the UK is its proximity to the rest of Europe. Many destinations are a short plane journey away, which is fantastic for students who want to travel on term breaks. The UK is a great gateway to Europe, with plenty of travel links and wonderful students deals and guidance to help you on your way.

If you require a visa to study abroad in the UK, there is plenty of useful information out there. The visa process is streamlined to ensure you get the visa type that best suits your needs. There is no limit on the number of student visas issued and each year thousands of students are granted their visas and welcomed to the UK!

The English higher education system is very well known for its high standards and intelligent graduates; many people who have obtained high honors such as Nobel Peace Prizes have attended English universities. Like many higher education institutions, most students will start going to university from age 18 on, and study for some sort of academic degree.

Most undergraduate education (other than the University of Buckingham and BPP University College, both private institutions) is state-financed with some top-up fees to cover costs. Those who study in England know of the hierarchy within the universities. The Russell Group, which is a network of 24 British public research universities, contains some of the most prestigious universities in the country. This prestigious group includes universities such as the University of Birmingham, the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, and the University of York. All of these are well-known universities and many people, both citizens of England and international students, aspire to attend university at one of these schools.

Most syllabi are set by the universities which are offering them, and are not controlled by the government. The only exception to this are teacher education programs, which the government has a lot of say over. The English government has established the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (Ofsted) to maintain those standards. Most countries have specific regulations for their teachers, so this isn’t any different than studying teaching in your home country. Because of their strict regulations and high standards for teacher education programs, England is considered to have some of the best teacher education programs in the world.

Even though the syllabi are set by universities, the Office for Fair Access (OfFA), has a lot of say on the admission procedures of each university. This office was created so that everyone who wishes to attend university in England has the ability to do so. They also promote fair access to higher education, even for those who are attending university as international students. Fair access also includes those of different cultures, different races, different nationalities, and those who have disabilities.

All English universities offer a first level of degree, known as a bachelor’s degree. This takes you approximately 3 years to complete. Some institutions in England may also offer a Master’s Degree at the undergraduate level, which takes a total of 4 years to complete; many people are finding this to be a great option because it costs a lot less money than returning for a postgraduate Master’s degree, and there appears to be no difference between the credentials this type of degree gives you. Other universities offer vocational degrees known as “foundation degrees.” These take approximately 2 years to complete. They are also very flexible; you can continue to work full time while going to

Some of the more prestigious universities in England offer postgraduate degrees. If schools offer postgraduate degrees, they offer Master’s Degrees (typically one year, sometimes two years if your degree is research-based) and/or Doctorate degrees (three year degrees). These are only available if you have obtained a bachelor’s degree at an accredited university (not necessarily one in England).

England has a rich history of quality higher education and each university has great options for any student. If you would like some more information about England’s educational system, there is plenty of information available for international students at all of the following links.

Higher Education Funding Council for England website –
The UK Council for International Student Affairs –
The Guardian (UK)’s site on Higher Education-

The British Council’s page on Higher Education –

UK tuition fees are frequently under the media spotlight, following price hikes for home students (UK/EU) in recent years, including the latest news that English universities will charge home/EU students up to £9,250 (~US$11,380) per year from autumn 2017.

International undergraduate tuition fees vary considerably, starting at around £10,000 (~US$12,300) and going up to £35,000 (~US$43,100) or more for medical degrees. At all levels, humanities and social sciences degrees tend to cost the least, while laboratory and clinical degree programs are markedly more expensive.
Combine these fees with the average cost of living in the UK, around £12,000 (~$14,750), and the total average cost of studying in the UK comes up to at least £22,000 (~$27,040) per year. Studying in the capital city, meanwhile, is likely to be significantly more expensive.

While these costs may be daunting, remember that most UK universities offer shorter programs compared to countries such as the US (three years for the average undergraduate degree instead of four, and one year for a master’s degree instead of two), so you may be able to subtract a year’s worth of fees and living costs from your total budget!

Students’ cost of living in the UK

According to the UK’s National Union of Students (NUS), the average annual cost of living in England (outside of London) for students is UK£12,056 (~US$14,800). Most students will spend around £150 (~US$180) per month on food and groceries, or £1,350 (~US$1,660) per academic year.

If you wish to study in London, you should expect to pay £15,180 (~US$18,700) per year for the same breakdown of goods and services. The biggest difference in the cost of living in London compared to the rest of England is in rent, with University College London (UCL) estimating accommodation expenses of £8,034 (~US$9,900) per academic year (nine months). However, you may be able to find more affordable accommodation in university halls or a flat share.

As the NUS points out, the figures for the rest of England can only be used as a rough guide to the overall cost of living in the UK. But they are roughly consistent with the amounts specified by the UK Border Agency (UKBA), which asks international students to provide evidence that they can afford to live and study in the UK for a specified period before being granted a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
For visa purposes, international students undertaking study in London must budget £1,265 (~US$1,550) for each month of stay, while those who study outside of London will have to show £1,015 (~US$1,250) per month in order to prove they can cover the cost of living in the UK.

UK tuition fees – UK/EU students

There are two levels of tuition fees at publicly funded UK universities: home student fees (including EU students) and international student fees. For home students, institutions in England can charge up to a maximum of £9,250 (~US$11,370) per year for undergraduate degree programs, and in Wales up to £9,000 (~US$11,050). In Northern Ireland the limit is £3,925 (US$4,830) for EU and Northern Irish students, and up to £9,250 for students from the rest of the UK.
In Scotland an undergraduate degree is effectively free for students from Scotland and the EU. This is thanks to a subsidy from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). The SAAS also offers a tuition fee loan of up to £3,400 (~US$4,170) for home postgraduate students.

It should be noted that the Scottish definition of “home” student differs slightly, in that it doesn’t include students from the rest of the UK – i.e. England, Wales or Northern Ireland. Students from the rest of the UK who want to undertake an undergraduate degree in Scotland will pay up to £9,250 a year.

There’s also good news for students from Wales, who only need to pay £3,900 (~US$4,800) per year in UK tuition fees to study anywhere in the UK, with the rest covered by the Welsh government.

Postgraduate tuition fees vary significantly, depending on the university and the subject. Home students may be able to receive some funding from one of the UK’s research councils, the university itself, or via a career sponsorship scheme.

UK tuition fees – international students

For international students, undergraduate fees for 2016/17 started at around £10,000 (US$12,300) for lecture-based courses, going up to £35,000 (~US$43,060) or more for an undergraduate medical degree at the top of the price range.

At postgraduate level, international fees for classroom-based programs in 2016/17 started at £9,700 (~US$11,930) and went up to £32,000 (~US$39,350). For laboratory-based programs, average annual fees vary from £9,900 (~US$12,180) up to £25,000 (~US$30,800), while for clinical degree programs the annual fees start at around £11,250 (~US$13,900) and are as high as £42,000 (~US$51,700) for programs such as medicine.

UK scholarships and student funding

Home (UK/EU) students are eligible for loans, grants and other forms of funding to cover their UK tuition fees, with differing amounts of funding depending on location. While student loans for home students tend to cover all tuition fees, the additional loan to cover the cost of living in the UK often falls short of the amount actually needed – the maximum living loan in the 2017-2018 academic year is UK£8,430 (~$10,400) for students outside London and up to £11,002 (~US$13,560) for those who study in London.

Undergraduate home students at private UK universities (there are only three) can still apply for tuition fee loans for most courses, as well as maintenance loans and maintenance grants. However, the tuition fee loan might not cover the full amount.

A large range of scholarships to study in the UK are also offered by the government, individual universities, independent organizations and various charities. The Education UK website provides a searchable database of 3,000 scholarships for international and home students. It is also worth checking to see what scholarships and support schemes are available from the government and other organizations in your own country.

Prominent UK scholarships for international students include:

  • Chevening Scholarships – Government-funded UK scholarships open to outstanding students with leadership potential from around the world, to study at postgraduate level at accredited UK universities.
  • Marshall Scholarships – Scholarships for high-achieving US students to study in the UK.
  • Commonwealth Scholarships and fellowships – UK scholarships offered by member governments to citizens of other Commonwealth countries.
  • UK scholarships are more widely available at postgraduate level, with relatively few offered for undergraduate students. However, always check with your chosen university, as support is often available for exceptional undergraduate students.
List of the Universities UK
  • American InterContinental University London
  • Anglia Ruskin University
  • Anglia Ruskin University, Faculty of Science and Technology
  • Anglo-European College of Chiropractic
  • Arts University Bournemouth
  • Ashridge Business School
  • Aston Business School
  • Aston University
  • Aston University, School of Life and Health Sciences
  • Bath Spa University
  • Birmingham City University
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
  • Bournemouth University
  • Bradford College
  • Bristol University
  • Brunel University London
  • Brunel University, Department of Information Systems, Computing and Mathematics
  • Brunel University, School of Engineering and Design
  • Buckinghamshire New University
  • Cambridge School of Visual & Performing Arts (CSVPA)
  • Canterbury Christ Church University
  • Cass Business School
  • Centre for Applied Human Rights, The University of York
  • Centre for Professional Education
  • City, University of London
  • Cliff College
  • College of Science and Engineering
  • Condé Nast College of Fashion & Design
  • Coventry University
  • Cranfield University
  • De Broc School of Business
  • De Montfort University
  • Digital Unicorn
  • Durham Business School
  • Durham University
  • East 15 Acting School
  • East London College
  • Edge Hill University
  • ESCP Europe – London Campus
  • European School of Economics, London
  • Falmouth University
  • Falmouth University Flexible Learning
  • GCU London
  • Goldsmiths, University of London
  • Graduate Research Support
  • Harper Adams University
  • Henley Business School
  • Home Learning College
  • Hull University Business School
  • Imperial College Business School
  • Imperial College London
  • Imperial College London, Department of Medicine
  • Institute for Transport Studies
  • Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience
  • InterActive
  • Kaplan International Colleges
  • Keele University
  • Kent Business School
  • King’s College London
  • Kingston University London
  • LAMDA (London Academy of Music & Dramatic Art)
  • Lancaster University
  • Leeds Beckett University
  • Leeds Beckett University Distance Learning
  • Leeds Trinity University
  • Leeds University Business School
  • Liverpool Hope University
  • Liverpool John Moores University
  • London College of Contemporary Arts
  • London Metropolitan University
  • London School of Business & Finance
  • London School of Business & Finance Online
  • London School of Economics
  • London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
  • London South Bank University
  • Loughborough University
  • Loughborough University, Department of Information Science
  • Loughborough University, School of Business and Economics
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
  • Middlesex University
  • Newcastle Business School
  • Newcastle University
  • Newcastle University Business School
  • Newcastle University, School of Computing Science
  • Newman University
  • Northumbria University Newcastle
  • Norwich University of the Arts
  • Nottingham Business School
  • Nottingham Law School
  • Nottingham Trent University
  • Nottingham Trent University, School of Animal, Rural & Environmental Sciences
  • ONCAMPUS Coventry
  • ONCAMPUS London
  • ONCAMPUS London South Bank
  • ONCAMPUS Reading
  • ONCAMPUS Sunderland
  • Oxford Brookes University
  • Oxford Brookes University Business School
  • Oxford Brookes University Pathways
  • Oxford School of Hospitality Management
  • Plymouth University
  • Queen Mary University of London, School of Physics and Astronomy
  • Queen Mary, University of London
  • Regent’s University London
  • Resource Development International
  • Richmond, The American International University in London
  • Royal Agriculture University
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
  • SAE Institute
  • Sheffield Business School
  • Sheffield Hallam University
  • SOAS, University of London
  • Southampton Solent University
  • St George’s, University of London
  • St Mary’s University Twickenham
  • Staffordshire University
  • Strathclyde Business School
  • Surrey Business School
  • Swansea University
  • Swansea University, School of Management
  • Teesside University
  • Teesside University School of Social Sciences, Business & Law
  • The Business School
  • The Caspari Foundation
  • The College of Estate Management
  • The Faculty of Arts and Humanities
  • The Faculty of Arts, Design and Media
  • The Faculty of Arts, Design and Technology
  • The London Film School
  • The Open University
  • The Royal Veterinary College
  • The School of Science and Technology
  • The Skills Network
  • The UCL Institute of Education
  • The University of Bradford
  • The University of Law
  • The University of Northampton
  • The University of the West of England, Bristol (UWE Bristol)
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
  • UCL Department of Security and Crime Science
  • UK Research Centre in NDE
  • Univerisyt of Oxford, Department for Continuing Education
  • University Campus Suffolk
  • University College Birmingham
  • University College London
  • University College London, Department of Computer Science
  • University for the Creative Arts
  • University of Bath
  • University of Bath, Faculty of Engineering & Design
  • University of Bedfordshire
  • University of Birmingham
  • University of Birmingham Online
  • University of Bolton
  • University of Brighton
  • University of Buckingham
  • University of Cambridge
  • University of Central Lancashire
  • University of Chester
  • University of Chichester
  • University of Cumbria
  • University of Derby
  • University of Derby Online Learning
  • University of East Anglia (UEA)
  • University of East London
  • University of Essex
  • University of Exeter
  • University of Exeter Business School
  • University of Gloucestershire
  • University of Greenwich
  • University of Hertfordshire
  • University of Huddersfield
  • University of Huddersfield, School of Computing and Engineering
  • University of Hull
  • University of Hull, Department of Computer Science
  • University of Kent
  • University of Leeds
  • University of Leeds, Faculty of Education, Social Sciences and Law
  • University of Leeds, School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering
  • University of Leicester
  • University of Leicester, School of Management
  • University of Lincoln
  • University of Liverpool
  • University of Liverpool Online
  • University of Manchester
  • University of Manchester, Faculty of Humanities
  • University of Manchester, School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Sciences
  • University of Manchester, School of Environment, Education and Development
  • University of Nottingham
  • University of Nottingham, School of Biology
  • University of Nottingham, School of Biosciences
  • University of Oxford
  • University of Portsmouth
  • University of Reading
  • University of Roehampton
  • University of Salford
  • University of Sheffield
  • University of Southampton
  • University of St Mark and St John
  • University of Sunderland
  • University of Sunderland, Faculty of Business and Law
  • University of Surrey
  • University of Sussex
  • University of the Arts London
  • University of the Highlands and Islands
  • University of Warwick
  • University of West London
  • University of Westminster
  • University of Winchester
  • University of Worcester
  • University of York
  • Warwick Business School
  • Warwick Manufacturing Group
  • Webster Graduate School London
  • Westminster Business School, London
  • Wolfson School of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
  • York Law School
  • York St John University

Private Colleges and Universities in Cyprus for International Students

Private universities are founded as private law organizations of speculative or non-speculative character, registered with the Ministry of Education. These private universities raise their funds from tuition fees. Here is the list of private colleges and universities in Cyprus for international students :

  • Alexander College
  • American College
  • ARTE Music Academy
  • City Unity College Nicosia
  • College of Tourism and Hotel Management
  • D.A. College
  • Cyprus International University
  • Frederick University
  • Mesoyios College
  • MKC City College
  • The Philips College
  • A. College
  • Neapolis University
  • Near East University
Types of UK student visa

If you’re studying a short course and are over 18 years old, you may be eligible for the short-term study visa. This is valid up to six months for most short courses and can be extended for a stay of up to 11 months for English language courses.

If you’re studying a longer course, you’ll need to make sure your chosen institution holds a Tier 4 Sponsor License. You can either apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa (if you’re aged 4-17 and want to study at an independent school in the UK) or a Tier 4 (General) student visa for those aged 16 and over.

UK student visa requirements

Your course provider may be willing to help you to apply for a UK student visa once you have been offered a place on a course; ask to find out if this is the case. You can apply for the visa up to three months in advance of the start date of your course. Check the average visa processing times for your country, and be sure to allow plenty of time.

UK student visas are awarded on a points-based system. In order to meet all the UK student visa requirements, you’ll need to provide:

  • Details of your passport
  • A recent photograph
  • An unconditional offer of a place on a course offered by a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor, evidenced by a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS) form from your course provider (worth 30 points)
  • Proof of adequate English language skills, demonstrated by passing one of the secure English language tests (SELT). You will not need to provide this if you’re from an English-speaking country such as the United States or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in an English-speaking country.
  • Proof you have financial support throughout your stay in the UK (worth 10 points)

Proof of financial support can take the form of bank statements or a letter from your financial sponsor, showing you can cover your tuition fees, accommodation and living costs. You must prove that you have £1,015 (~US$1,230) per month for living costs if studying in the UK outside of London, and £1,265 (~US$1,540) a month for living costs if studying in London.

You may also be required to produce documents showing your academic qualifications, and to attend an interview or biometric test, which includes a digital scan of your fingerprints. Depending on your country of origin, you may also be required to have certain medical vaccinations or undertake a tuberculosis test.

If you’re 16 or 17 years old and applying for the Tier 4 (General) student visa, you must have written consent from your parents/guardians that you can live and travel independently.

You must apply online for the Tier 4 (General) Student visa, ensuring you’ve read the full guidance here. You can apply up to three months before the start of your course.

UK student visa fees

The current fee for the Tier 4 (General) student visa is £328 (~US$400), with an additional £328 fee per person for any dependents. You’ll also need to pay a healthcare surcharge of £150 per year (~US$180) in order to access the National Health Service (NHS) during your stay.

The Short Term Study Visa costs £89 (~US$110) for the six month option and £170 (~US$210) for the 11 month visa.

Using your UK student visa

When you enter the UK, a UK Border Agency officer will put a stamp on your passport that states the duration of your stay in the UK. For example, if your course is 12 months or more, you can stay for the full duration of the course plus an additional four months. You cannot extend your stay beyond this period.

Before you arrive, you must make sure you are fully immunized, remembering to pack your immunization record in your hand luggage in case you are asked to show the Border Agency officer at your UK port of entry. You should also carry the documents relating to your studies (including your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies or CAS number), your proof of finances and your proof of accommodation.

Depending on where you’re from, you may also be required to register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UK.

Working while studying in the UK

All EU, EEA and Swiss students can work while studying in the UK, although students from Croatia might need to gain authorization. Students of publically funded higher education institutions on Tier 4 student visas can work for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during Christmas and Easter breaks (unless you are aged 16 or 17, in which case the maximum is 10 hours per week during term time).

Overseas Education

Quick Enquiry

Quick Enquiry